SECOND NATIONAL JUDICIAL PAY COMMISSION
The Supreme Court of India by the order dated 09.05.2017 in W.P. (C) No. 643 of 2015 - All India Judges Association versus Union of India & others appointed a Commission with Mr. Justice P. Venkatarama Reddi (P.V. Reddi), former Judge of Supreme Court of India as Chairman and Justice R. Basant, former Judge of Kerala High Court as Member of the Commission.
The Commission will be assisted by a Secretary, preferably a Judicial Officer either in service or retired.
TERMS OF REFERENCE:
The terms of reference to the Commission are briefly:
(1) To evolve the principles governing the pay structure and emoluments of Judicial Officers belonging to the Subordinate Judiciary all over the country.
(2) To examine the present structure and emoluments and conditions of services of Judicial Officers in the States and Union Territories and to make suitable recommendations including post-retirement benefits such as pension, having regard among other relevant factors to the existing relativity's in the pay structure between the Officers of Subordinate Judiciary and other civil servants.
(3) To examine the methods and work environments and the various allowances and benefits in kind that are available to the Judicial Officers in addition to pay and to suggest rationalization and simplification thereof with a view to promoting efficiency in judicial administration and to remove anomalies (if any) created in implementation of earlier recommendations.
(4) To consider and recommend such interim relief as the Commission considers just and proper to all categories of Judicial Officers.
(5) To make recommendations regarding setting up of a permanent mechanism to review the pay and service conditions of members of Subordinate Judiciary periodically by an independent Commission.
The Commission has been given liberty to devise its own procedure and modalities necessary for accomplishing the task of making recommendations, preferably within a period of 18 months.
It has been decided by the Commission at its meeting held on 07.06.2017 that the Commission shall be designated as Second National Judicial Pay Commission.
This website will serve as one of the communication channels for collecting data and for receiving the responses and suggestions from the stake-holders concerned.
At the appropriate time i.e., after collecting the basic data/information, the Commission proposes to invite suggestions and responses from all concerned.
At present, the initial work is being carried out from the residential office of the Hon'ble Chairman at Hyderabad.The Secretary of the Commission Mr.V.K.Gupta(Addl.Dist.& Sessions Judge of Delhi Higher Judicial Service) has assumed office on 16.08.2017.He will be working from the temporary office of the Commission at Room No 4, Third floor Extension/Guest House Block of Delhi High Court Complex New Delhi - 110503. The addresses of the Chairman, Member and Secretary of the Commission with phone numbers are furnished below;
Chairman of the Commission
1) Mr. Justice (Rtd) P.V. Reddi
Former Judge, Supreme Court of India & Former Chairman, Law Commission of India
B-12, Stone Valley Apts Complex
Road No.4, Banjara Hills
Mobile: 94409 71177
Member of the Commission
2) Mr. Justice (Rtd) R. Basant
Former Judge, Kerala High Court,
Senior Advocte, Supreme Court
H-35, Kailash Colony
Mobile: 88003 98652
Secretary of the Commission
3) Shri. Vinay Kumar Gupta
Room No.4, Guest House Extn. Block (3rd Floor)
Delhi High Court,
Sher Shah Suri Marg